Gibco™ Advanced RPMI 1640 Medium, 500 mL
Catalog number: 12633012
Advanced RPMI (Roswell Park Memorial Institute) 1640 is a widely used basal medium that allows the culture of mammalian cells with reduced Fetal Bovine Serum (FBS) supplementation. Compared to classic RPMI 1640, serum supplementation can be reduced by 50-90% with no change in growth rate or morphology.i Cells successfully cultured in Advanced RPMI 1640, with no adaptation, include Sp2, Vero, Raji, Daudi, and Jurkat.
- With Glucose, Non-Essential Amino Acids, Sodium pyruvate & Phenol Red.
- Without L-glutamine & HEPES.
- Gibco® Advanced RPMI 1640 is unique from other media due to addition of the following ingredients to allow for serum reduction: ethanolamine, glutathione, ascorbic acid, insulin, transferrin, AlbuMAX® I lipid-rich bovine serum albumin for cell culture, and the trace elements sodium selenite, ammonium metavanadate, cupric sulfate, and manganous chloride.
Using Advanced RPMI
- Advanced RPMI 1640 requires supplementation with 1-5% Fetal Bovine Serum and 4mM L-glutamine or GlutaMAX™ supplement.
- The FBS concentration must be optimized for each cell line to obtain maximum serum reduction.
- Many cell lines do not require adaptation to this media.
- Advanced RPMI 1640 uses a sodium bicarbonate buffer system (3.7 g/L) and therefore requires a 5-10% CO2 environment to maintain physiological pH.